Monday, March 30, 2020

Self Isolation: Day 14

This morning I woke up and my chest was feeling tight due to not being able to go out and walk. A few days ago I tried the Jo Wicks Kids PE workouts. However, I failed and had to keep stopping due to my amateur pair of lungs! Then I remembered about a website called Beam, which has workouts designed especially for CF sufferers. The instructor I chose, Natalie, has CF herself and has designed workouts that she finds manageable. So this morning I gave them a go! Before starting the workouts I did my DNase nebuliser which is used to break down excess DNA in the pulmonary secretions, making mucus thinner and easier to cough up. I started with a warm up routine. Followed by a body strengthening routine, using dumbbells, and a core muscle fitness test. Then ended with a cool down and stretch routine. Now my workouts are finished I am going to do my chest physiotherapy using a BiPAP. This is a continuous positive airway pressure machine that helps keep the upper airways of the lungs open, by providing a flow of air to the lungs. I do 10 cycles of 8 breaths on the machine and end each cycle with a huff and a cough. This technique helps to move the mucus and cough it up which also helps to keep my lung function up.


Noni x

No comments:

Post a Comment